Lisa L. Pan has over 30-years’ experience as a litigator, with a special emphasis on insurance coverage and large-loss claims. She also has experience evaluating insurance coverage for professional-liability cases involving insurance-agents, attorneys, accountants, engineers, securities brokers, real-estate professionals, pharmacists and podiatrists. Her current focus is on motions and appeals, especially on matters involving complex or novel legal issues, supporting both the Long Beach and San Francisco offices. Because of her expertise in motions and appeals, Lisa has associated in with other law firms in California and out of state pro hac vice on appellate matters or specialized motions. She has been counsel of record in appellate matters generating published legal decisions in different jurisdictions, some decisions of which are frequently cited by the courts and counsel. Lisa has a long history of being a featured speaker in MCLE courses, training other attorneys, including in matters of legal research and writing, insurance coverage, and the use of acting techniques in courtrooms.
Lisa is also a retired professional actor who was a member of the Screen Actors’ Guild and a local board member of the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists. Off camera and on stage, she has performed with professional and semi-professional theatre and opera companies, and sings with the Los Angeles Lawyers Philharmonic (LA’s only “legal” orchestra) and the Long Beach Chorale.
- B.A. Economics, Stanford University (1981)
- J.D. with honors, University of Washington School of Law (1984)
- California State Bar (admitted 1997)
- Washington State Bar (admitted 1984, currently inactive)
- U.S. District Court (multiple states and districts beginning in 1984)
- U.S. Court of Appeals – Ninth Circuit (admitted 1984)
- United States Supreme Court (admitted 1993)
Key Published Decisions
- Am. States Ins. Co. v. Progressive Cas. Ins. Co., 180 Cal. App. 4th 18, 102 Cal. Rptr. 3d 591 (2009)
- Tosco Corp. v. Gen. Ins. Co. of Am., 85 Cal. App. 4th 1016, 102 Cal. Rptr. 2d 657 (2000)
- Sierra Pac. Indus. v. Am. States Ins. Co., 883 F. Supp. 2d 967 (E.D. Cal. 2012)
- Am. States Ins. Co. v. Ins. Co. of the State of Pennsylvania, No. 2:12-CV-01489-MCE-AC, 2016 WL 1138142 (E.D. Cal. Mar. 23, 2016)
- Odessa Sch. Dist. No. 105 v. Ins. Co. of Am., 57 Wash. App. 893, 791 P.2d 237, cause dismissed sub nom. Odessa Sch. Dist. No. 105 v. Ins. Co. of N. Am., 115 Wash. 2d 1022, 804 P.2d 9 (1990)