Jim Weixel, an attorney in the firm’s San Francisco office, has concentrated his practice on toxic tort defense and other areas of casualty defense litigation for over twenty-five years.
Mr. Weixel was admitted to the Ohio bar in 1990 and to the California bar in 1993. He has been an associate, partner, and of counsel at large and small firms and in solo practice. He has represented clients ranging from individuals and families to large multinational corporations at all levels of trial proceedings, in widely diverse fields of practice ranging from asbestos litigation, workers’ compensation, commercial litigation, personal injury cases, securities litigation and arbitration, and contractual disputes. Mr. Weixel has also been especially involved in appellate practice throughout his career, participating in appeals and writ proceedings in the state and federal courts in California and Ohio.
A native of Cleveland, Mr. Weixel is a 1986 graduate of Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. He received his Juris Doctor in 1990 from the Cleveland-Marshall College of Law at Cleveland State University, where he was an officer in the school’s Moot Court program.
Mr. Weixel is also admitted to the bars of the Ninth and Sixth Circuits and of the U.S. Supreme Court. He is also admitted to practice before all United States district courts in California, as well as the Northern District of Ohio. Mr. Weixel has also practiced pro hac vice before dozens of state and federal courts in other jurisdictions.
Mr. Weixel has been heavily active in professional and community organizations. Mr. Weixel is the vice president of the Irish American Bar Association of Northern California. He served on the board of directors of the Bar Association of San Francisco from 2006 through 2008. He has also served on the board of directors of the Conference California Bar Associations (CCBA), a statewide assembly of attorneys dedicated to improving the law and the judicial system, in which he authored several resolutions which were enacted into California law. Mr. Weixel is the treasurer of the United Irish Societies of San Francisco (the sponsor of the annual St. Patrick’s Day parade and other Irish cultural events in San Francisco) and the treasurer of the Irish Cultural Centre of California.
Representative Reported Cases
- In re Marriage of Gréaux and Mermin (2014) 223 Cal.App.4th 1242
- Office Depot v. Zuccarini (9th Cir. 2010) 596 F.3d 696
- In re Marriage Cases (2008) 43 Cal.4th 757 (amicus brief of Equality Foundation, et al.)
- Boston Telecoms. Group v. Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu (N.D. Cal. 2003) 278 F.Supp.2d 1041
- Lippitt v. Raymond James Fin. Servs. (9th Cir. 2003) 340 F.3d 1033
- USS Great Lakes Fleet, Inc. v. Spitzer Great Lakes, Ltd. (1993) 85 Ohio App.3d 266, 621 N.E.2d 461
- State, ex rel. Simpson v. Indus. Comm. (1991) 62 Ohio St.3d 162, 580 N.E.2d 779
- 1990-1993 – Baughman & Associates Co., L.P.A., Cleveland, Ohio (Associate)
- 1993-1997 – Sedgwick, Detert, Moran & Arnold, San Francisco, California (Associate)
- 1998-2002 and 2006-2017 – Armstrong & Associates LLP, Oakland, California (Of Counsel)
- 1998-2002 – Law Offices of James V. Weixel, Jr., San Rafael, California (Principal)
- 2002-2006 – Trevor & Weixel LLP, Corte Madera, California (Partner)
- 2017–present – Demler, Armstrong & Rowland, San Francisco, California (Attorney)
- Trials and Appeals
- Asbestos Defense
- Products and Premises Liability Defense
- Insurance Litigation
- Insurance Bad Faith
Admitted to Practice
- State Bar of California, 1993
- Supreme Court of Ohio, 1990 (inactive status)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Courts of Appeals, Ninth and Sixth Circuits
- U.S. District Courts, Northern, Eastern, Central, and Southern Districts of California, and Northern District of Ohio
- Pro Hac Vice Appearances – Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Nevada, North
- Carolina, Pennsylvania, Washington, West Virginia
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- State Bar of California
- Ohio Bar
- Irish American Bar Association of Northern California (Vice President)
- Miami University, Oxford, Ohio (B.S. Bus. Admin., 1986)
- Cleveland State University, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law (J.D., 1990)
- Vice Chair, Moot Court Board of Governors
- WiIliam H. Thomas Award for academic and community achievement
- Delta Theta Phi Law Fraternity, Ranney Senate